Friday, December 07, 2012

Always my baby you'll be...

On Monday I found out that Banner will be transitioning to the Toddler Room starting on December 17th. He will be a full fledged member of the class before the end of the year.

How did I react? I broke down and SOBBED.

Rationally, I get it. He is tall for his age, and has been hitting his milestones ahead of schedule. He has superior sippy cup skills, chews his food like he has been eating solids for years and seems more than willing to leave bottles and formula behind for cow’s milk and the wonderful, wonderful world of big people food. Add this to his newfound love of climbing on top of things, opening doors, reorganizing the furniture and near (but not quite) ability to toddle, and…well, I get it. He is ready.

On the other hand, he is my baby and just turned eleven months on Tuesday. Oliver didn’t transition until he was fourteen months. Heck, Caroline is nearly fifteen months and she doesn’t transition until next week. Since we’ve been in room two, EVERYONE has transitioned after their first birthday. Everyone, that is, except for Banner.

I know that I should be grateful that he is on target developmentally. That he is so easy going that his teachers think he will transition without a problem. And I am. No one is prouder of that kiddo than his mama. Some kids freak out when they go to a different room. Banner just sees all the new toys, playmates and possibilities. For this reason, Banner’s transition to the Toddler Room should be quick and painless instead of long and drawn like most.

Banner adapts easily.  He is a rockstar that way.

Of course, it will help that Brox (who will start transitioning on Monday) will be there to welcome him.

Still. It seems too soon.

I guess I’m not ready.

I can’t believe that Banner’s first birthday is just around the corner. It seems like yesterday that he was just a teeny, tiny newborn. That first night home from the hospital is still freshly etched in my mind. It doesn’t seem possible that eleven months has already flown by. All the little hallmarks of infancy are starting to fade as Banner becomes more and more of a little boy each and every day.

My baby is growing up.

How I wish I could pause life...just for a moment.  I want to relish in his baby-ness for just a little while longer.


I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

1 comment:

betty said...

He will always be your baby, but you are right, they do grow up so quickly. It is good he is so adaptable though and they feel he is ready for this transition. Loved that book; always made me cry; I think it was the only of their kids' books I kept as they grew.

My husband's mom always referred to him as her baby, even in his late 50s :)

betty