Friday, January 18, 2013

I spoke too soon. There is something worse than poop in the bathtub.

Banner had to go to the pediatrician this morning, because he had "goopy eyes".

Y'all.  I was terrified it was conjunctivitis.  And it didn't help that Trevor kept doing everything in his power to touch Banner and then promptly rub his own eyes.

I'm so not kidding.

The whole thing stressed me out.  Because nothing puts a proverbial cherry on top of a terrible start to a year like a little pink eye outbreak.

But no worries.  Banner made sure to rub his eyes and then sock me in mine at 6:30 this morning.  If we were going down, we were doing it as a family.

Anyway, I took Banner to the doctor expecting the worst.  But, instead, learned that it wasn't, in fact, pink eye at all.  My poor baby has another double ear infection.  The doctor says he's probably been in  a lot of pain, and he was kind of surprised that Banner's ear drums didn't rupture.

Which?  I feel like a terrible mother for not figuring it out sooner.  Poor baby!  I had no idea!  I thought all the fussiness was caused by the molars breaking through!

But, the worst, was finding out what was causing the goopy eyes.  Banner's poor ears couldn't drain in a typical manner (down the back of the throat, out the nose, etc.).  So they drained in the only way they could:  OUT OF HIS EYES.

OMG!

I didn't even know that was possible!  Clearly this is some sort of design flaw.

I'd type more but I am too horrified.

1 comment:

betty said...

Poor Banner. Don't beat yourself up. Its a learning process with these kids of ours until they can tell us specifically what is bothering them.

I know when my kids were younger when they were really clingy and I could hardly put them down and if they had a cold or had had a cold, chances are they would get an ear infection, especially my youngest who always had ear infections. So I got to the habit (after months of trial and error, LOL) to take him in if he was clingy and there was nothing I could do to console him.

The joys of parenting :)

betty