Monday, July 15, 2013

18 Month Checkup and the whole thing about the car seat...

I know I say it ALL THE TIME, but OMG how is my baby a year and a half already? 


Last Monday (July 8th), Banner had his 18 month checkup.  An appointment that I have been dreading ever since January when the little guy may or may not have had an adverse reaction to one of his vaccines.  I thought we were due to have a MMR booster.  And that terrified me because it was one of the shots Banner had at 12 months that had been mentioned as a possible culprit for his 105.3 temp that landed him in the ER.  I had expressed my concerns at Banner's 15 month appointment, and my pediatrician gave one of the vaccines they normally give at 18 months at 15 months to cut down on the number of shots Banner would receive at once in July along with said "dreaded booster".   

But, y'all.  I was wrong.  I must have misread the vaccine schedule, because I worried over nothing.  Apparently, Banner doesn't get another MMR booster until he is FOUR YEARS OLD.

Trevor's not surprised.  He is always saying that I have 99 problems and 98 or 99 of them are completely made up scenarios in my head that I'm stressing about for absolutely no logical reason. 

Which?  UNSUPPORTIVE.

All Banner ended up getting was a Hep A booster.  No fever.  No hospital visit.  Just a screaming toddler who was easily distracted by the thrill of getting to put his shoes back on a mere 30 seconds after the needle stick. 

That boy loves his goooz (shoes).

Meanwhile, I probably have at least 600+ new white hairs from six months of worrying and fretting.  OVER A SHOT THAT DIDN'T EXIST.  Story of my life.


As far as Banner's stats go, he has only grown a fourth of an inch since April but is STILL in the 96%.  He weighs in at 28.8 pounds (80%) and has a head circumference of 49.5 (85%).  He is officially bigger at 18 months than my childhood friend's son was at 2 years, and that kid is a perfectly average size for his age.  A little above average, actually.

Which leads us to the following issue:

Trevor was hoping to get permission to turn Banner's car seats around, but the AAP now recommends that a child rear-face up to age two (as opposed to the law that mandates children rear-face until they weigh at least 20 pounds AND are one year of age).  Since Banner is as long, if not longer, than many two year olds already, he is looking a little cramped and ridiculous in the backseat at the moment. But the pediatrician would still like Banner to face backwards until he maxes out our car seat's rear facing height limit.

So...will he make it until January?  Probably not.  Our Peg Perego Convertible allows a child to sit rear facing up to 45 lbs., as long as the child's head is at least 1" below the headrest edge. But while there are ten headrest positions available, only one through seven can be used while the seat is in the rear-facing mode.  And, guess what?  Banner is already on seven.  This most likely means that we will be forced to flip the little guy to forward-facing before the end of the summer.  Trevor is counting down the nanoseconds.  Because when you are well over six feet tall and drive a tiny little hybrid, every spare millimeter of space matters.  And, to be honest, at 5'10, I can't wait to ride shotgun with my knees NOT touching the dash board in my husband's car.  Still, for the sake of the kiddo's safety, we are going to wait to make the change for just a little while longer.  Adult vehicular comfort be d@mned!

Seriously, mom?

(I'm a catastrophist, remember?!  If I could put Banner in a bubble I probably would.  Especially after being rear-ended with him in the car six months ago.)

Plus, once he makes the switch, there is no going back.  Driving around town is SO much more interesting when you can actually see where you are going.  It is going to blow his little mind.  And he is already so excited to go for a ride in the "ka" to begin with!  He is going to love it!

Until then, though, Banner doesn't know what he is missing, and I get to pretend he is safer in my hot mess of a lemon SUV facing backwards than he would otherwise be facing forwards.  Win-win.  Well, unless you are Trevor.  Then, you know, grumble, grumble, grumble.

I mean, what's new, right?

(Exactly.)

No comments: